Thursday 14 August 2014

Singin' In The Rain


This is just a quick post about the fact Nick and I managed to get tickets to see Singin' in the Rain live a week or so ago, and went on a night where both Sunny (Girls Gen) and Baekhyun (EXO) were performing! Too exciting.

[Sadly (but understandably) there was a strict "no cameras" rule in place, so I couldn't take any photos of the show. Large blocks of text are generally dull, especially with my writing, so I've nabbed some photos from google. In my rush, I've forgotten to take down any photo credits, so if a photo is yours and you want me to take it down or add credit, let me know!]


I'd never actually seen the original, and we weren't sure how much of it would have been translated into Korean (watching some clips of Wicked in Japan, it was a really interesting mix of English and Japanese), so the night before we just stayed up to watch the film, so that if there was a lot of Korean I wouldn't be totally lost.

Can I just say, I want to watch the film over and over. It's just so wonderful. All the dances and songs make me so happy, I'm really glad I've found it, haha.

Anyway, it's a good thing we did that, because it turns out that other than the character names, and vital lines in songs like "I'm singin' in the rain", and "Good morning", pretty much all of it was in Korean. Even Moses Supposes got translated into a Korean equivalent, which was fun to see. It was so nice to watch though, and because it's a very visual format I wasn't too lost anyway. I guess if people can watch Italian opera and get what's going on, there's no reason why this shouldn't work either!


We had a very cute encounter with a Korean boy in front of us in the queue, who seemed very excited to find foreign fans there, and was eager to talk to us about Baekhyun.

Some highlights for me were moments like when Sunny runs out into the audience near the end, and pretty much everyone gasped and sat up SO straight to see her better. I'm not sure what they thought she was going to do, but the excitement in the room was adorable.



Similarly, the hilarity that occurred with the guy playing Cosmo making little EXO jokes such as doing the Growl dance or humming parts of their songs when teasing and cracking jokes at Don. To me, it was really well done! I wonder if they made similar jokes about Kyuhyun from Super Junior and Jay from TRAX?

Baekhyun definitely enjoyed kicking the rain onto the front row a little bit too much, haha. He certainly did it more than the clips I saw of Kyuhyun's performance! A cheeky little revenge, maybe ;)

 

We weren't sure how they'd manage to translate Lina's way of speaking into something that makes sense in Korean, but Sunday's performance was hilarious and terrifying, and really difficult to explain in any way other than extreme mood swings from sweet and precious and squeaky to a growly, grumpy, smoker's voice.


Overall, it was great and really brought a smile to my face for many hours during and after.


No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird