Thursday 5 November 2015

Weekday Clubbing


Everyone always seems quite surprised when they find out we haven't been clubbing in Korea yet. There's quite a simple explanation for it though. We hate clubbing.
I can't dance, I don't like dancing (unless it's a choreographed performance), and I don't like sweaty crowds of people with no concept of personal space. I don't like people in general. I've spent a long time crafting an online persona of being very outgoing and sociable, but this is the glass-shattering moment I reveal to you that I'm a massive introvert (and possible misanthropist) and anytime I meet up with people I'm in a constant effort to force myself out of my warm, soft, fluffy pokeball of safety and into a slightly more sociable world that doesn't involve cookies and snacks in bed at 7pm on a Saturday. Even if I really like you. Sorry about that.

ANYWAY. One of the things I really try to embrace while I'm here in Korea is meeting up with Korean friends and hanging out with them and generally making the most of the fact I'm in a super cool new country and I know plenty of people from said country that are happy and excited to share their culture with me. So we met up with our friend Nathan again, in one of our once-in-a-blue-moon meetups.

Except this time he also invited his girlfriend! ... and his girlfriend's friend. And his girlfriend's friend's boyfriend. And his girlfriend's friend's boyfriend's friend. I think. You get the picture, haha.



We met up and finally ate 족발 (pigs' feet) which was DELICIOUS, and drank a lot of beer and soju. We then went to look for a second round and happened to see what was labelled as a "British Makgeolli House", so we were ushered in by our friends to celebrate our home country.

Turns out, the establishment was British by name...and name only. Nothing on the menu was in any way British other than the potato pancake we ordered, that was tenuously similar to ham, egg and chips. It was hilarious and confusing. But we drank a lot of makgeolli.

One member of our party had clearly been hit with the alcohol stick a little harder than the rest of us, and she excitedly asked me a question. In English. I couldn't understand anything other than she was asking a question with two options (because it was quite slurred), so she said it again to Nick, who also couldn't understand. She turned in desperation to her boyfriend, repeated it in both English and Korean, at which point he announced he couldn't even understand her, so there was no hope. We ended up all just taking the nod and smile and she happily led us to another building.

It turned out she'd been asking where we want to go next. I don't know what the other option was, but the one we apparently chose was "go to a nightclub". On a Wednesday. At around 9pm. Not exactly peak service hours.

The hilarious thing is that it was a club that only played K-Pop hits, sort of like a Now That's What I Call Music nightclub. (I've just found out that these albums also sell in South Korea under the title "Now That's What I Call K-Pop!", which should totally be the name of the club)

The second, possibly MORE hilarious thing, is that, understandably, it was totally empty. Other than the staff members (including one girl that I assumed was a uni student, who knew the dance routine to EVERY. SINGLE. SONG.) we were the only people in there, which was great because we had the dance floor to ourselves, but also terrible...because we had the dance floor to ourselves.


In the end, they did manage to get me to dance a little (only a little) and we did, admittedly, have fun, until we realised we all had work the next day and should probably head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird